Tuesday 20 May 2014

Watch your drinks

I had another blog lined up to post this week, but a lot has happened since then so I apologise but I really feel that I need to say this.


When we see things happening in the news, it's very easy to assume that the horrible things that they talk about will never happen to you. It's a naive way of looking at life and yet we all do it. I know because until very recently I did the same thing. My closest friend was spiked in a club a few days back. To see something like that happen to someone you love is frightening. You never think it'll happen to them or you, you just assume that because you're all together that nothing could go wrong. You don't realise that actually people are always in danger of this, not matter how careful they are. You certainly don't expect to feel the way I do now four days later. Right now, I'm struggling to eat and when I try to sleep I remember that night and I wake up terrified and can't sleep any more, I don't know why it's hit me so hard. I don't know if it's because of who it was that got spiked,  the fact that I couldn't do anything about it, or the fact that I remember everything that was said and remember feeling that I couldn't give any real reassurance. It's more than likely a combination of all of these things. What it's made me realise though is what's really important to me, it highlighted just how much I care about my friends and the lengths I would go to to keep them safe. Things like this really do happen.

I can handle difficult situations at the best of times, but when it hit me that actually this could have killed them I found it hard to keep myself together. I went into shock and started to panic and I genuinely started to think the worst as the night went on. I also started to think that it could have happened to me which is terrifying, after all when a girl is spiked it's usually for one reason. It was a scary experience, things were said that I wish I couldn't remember and someone was hurting and I couldn't take that pain away. Yes, I was lucky enough to not be the person that was spiked, but it could just as easily have happened to me or anyone. So if you are reading this PLEASE for the sake of your own safety and for the sanity of people like me, Don't leave drinks unattended. Don't let anyone give you a drink. Go nowhere without someone you know all the time. Be careful and try to drink responsibly. I don't want to see this happen again to someone I know, especially not someone I care about as much as I do for my friend.

Just to clarify, this happened to a male friend. Yes, guys get spiked too.

No comments: